A Taliban suicide bomber driving a truck attacked a Nato combat post in central Afghanistan Sunday, killing at least five people and wounding more than 100, many of them Americans, Nato and the US Army said.
News of Saturday’s attack came as the world marked the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks that killed almost 3,000 people in the United States and led to the invasion of Afghanistan and toppling of the Taliban at the end of 2001.
The Nato-led International Security Assistance Force said 77 of its personnel and about 25 Afghan nationals were wounded in the blast in Sayed Abad district in central Wardak province. Five Afghan civilians were killed, Nato added in the statement, describing the attack as a “failed attempt by insurgents to degrade operational capabilities and cause loss of life to coalition troops”.
“The majority of injured Isaf personnel will likely return to duties shortly,” Isaf said in a statement, adding that although the entrance and perimeter wall of the base had been damaged, the barriers had now been repaired.Continue Reading on nation.com.pk