by Wes Moore
For many, the teachings of modern science have completely shaken their confidence in the teachings of the Bible. From the Big Bang, to Noah’s ark, to the dinosaurs, they can’t see how the Bible could be true in light of all the scientific “evidence.”
Some Christians, so swayed by modern scientific claims, have even tried to rearrange the Bible to fit with science’s shifting theories. But is this necessary? Is our faith in science really supported by the evidence?
Below I’ll list and answer four of the most common questions about science and the Bible. Hopefully, by the end of the article, you’ll have a new appreciation for the validity of God’s book.
1. Doesn’t the Big Bang prove the Bible isn’t true?
To properly evaluate the Big Bang, first you need to understand that there are two types of science. Observational science is based on observable, repeatable events in the present. Origins science is not based on observation, but takes present facts and develops theories to explain those facts. Origins science is heavily influenced by the scientist’s worldview. The Big Bang and creation as taught in the Bible are both origins science because they deal with the past.
The Big Bang has many weaknesses. Even secular (non-religious) scientists are beginning to question the validity of this theory. Visit www.cosmologystatement.org to read “An Open Letter to the Scientific Community” signed by 218 scientists and engineers.
Here are some well known problems with the Big Bang model:
– “The known laws of physics fail to describe how the singularity [the spec of matter at the beginning] could exist.” 
– The law of cause and effect is violated. The Big Bang provides no answer for the cause of the explosion. 
– When matter is created an equal amount of anti-matter is created. But “the visible universe is comprised almost entirely of matter—with only trace amounts of antimatter anywhere.” 
– Though galaxies in the distant universe should appear in the early stages of development (because we are seeing them billions of years ago), “images from the Hubble Deep Field show fully formed galaxies in the early universe.” 
The Bible provides a scientifically sound explanation of our origins given by an eyewitness: God. 
2. Don’t scientific dating methods prove the Bible isn’t true?
The Bible teaches only thousands of years (about 6,000). Secular science teaches billions (about 14 billion). They both can’t be true. So, is the world really billions of years old or only thousands?
There are many physical processes that can be used to calculate the age of the world, most of which contradict secular science. If we measure the amount of salt in the sea and calculate the net increase in saltiness per year, we can work backward and determine the maximum possible age of the oceans (not the actual age), sixty-two million years, many times less than the billions reported in science textbooks. 
Radiometric dating (RD), a method of dating rocks from lava flows that supposedly lock down the billions of years dates, are based on unproven assumptions: 1) that all the starting conditions are known, 2) that the decay rate of the radioisotopes hasn’t changed, and 3) that the system is closed, allowing no addition or deletion of material. And all of this over millions or billions of years! 
Furthermore, RD methods are not always accurate for rocks of known ages and different methods often disagree when dating the same sample. 
Ultimately, the best way to determine the age of the earth is to ask an eyewitness: God. He was there when the world and life were created. So, the ultimate question is who are you going to trust—man or God?
3. Doesn’t the fossil record prove the Bible is wrong?
The fossil record is another central pillar in the argument for the evolution of life (an argument against the validity of the Bible). But it is not the only valid theory that explains the evidence. There is also Noah’s flood.
You must understand that what we actually see in the fossil record is simply the order of burial of certain plants and animals. What we conclude from that order—that it represents the order of the evolution of life—is our interpretation of what we see. Contrary to popular notions, the fossil record as interpreted by evolutionists is fraught with problems. Here are a few:
– “The impeccable state of preservation of most fossils requires the animals and plants to have been very rapidly buried.”  Plants or animals buried slowly over long periods would be destroyed by scavengers and bacteria. 
– Large fossil graveyards found all over the world cannot be explained by slow, gradual processes. “The Redwall Limestone of the Grand Canyon contains…marine creatures buried by fast-moving slurry that involved 24 cubic miles of lime, sand, and silt. No river or lake today can account for the scale of these graveyards.” 
– Polystrate fossils (fossils that cut vertically through many geologic layers), like the trees at Joggins, Nova Scotia, are not easily explained by slow, gradual fossilization. 
The biblical flood of Noah, however, provides a better explanation for rapid burial and fossilization, massive fossil graveyards, and polystrate fossils.
4. If the Bible is true, how does it explain the dinosaurs?
Kids love the dinosaurs. A dinosaur coloring book, toy, or movie is a great way to keep them occupied…for hours. But the subject of dinosaurs is more than just kid stuff; it has serious implications on the history of our world and even on faith itself. Perhaps more than anything else, the secular history of the dinosaurs suggests to the world that the Bible is outdated and irrelevant.
The age of the dinosaurs is based on the radiometric dating of rock layers in the vicinity of dinosaur fossils. Therefore, the “certain” age of dinosaurs is subject to the same weaknesses as the fossil record and scientific dating methods, an uncertain foundation to say the least (see Science Question 2 and 3).
So how does the Bible explain the dinosaurs? Here are a few key elements:
– Formed: God created them on Day 6 along with the other land animals and man (Genesis 1:24-26).
– Fell: They suffered the effects of Adam’s fall and the curse placed upon creation (Romans 8:20-22).
– Flood: They endured the catastrophic global flood of Noah, although one pair of each kind of dinosaur was saved aboard the Ark (Genesis 6:19-20). 
– Faded: After the flood, they spread out to repopulate the earth, but over time became extinct like many other animals in the harsh post-flood world.
Why doesn’t the Bible use the word dinosaur?
– The word was not invented until 1841 by Sir Richard Owen.
– The dinosaur issue—so fascinating to us—was not an important issue to them.
– The Bible gives a clear description of a dinosaur-like creature in Job 40:15-24, and a great sea-monster in Job 41:1-34. The graphic description of the Bible leaves no room for these to be elephants or crocodiles, as some have suggested.
These are but a sampling of the powerful answers there are to questions about the Bible and science. I strongly recommend you visit www.creation.com or www.answersingenesis.org for a more detailed and thorough treatment of all your science-related questions.
In the meantime, let this brief article be a witness to you that the Bible is a credible and sound document. It is the Word of the Creator, and, therefore, can stand up to any challenge, even those from the halls of modern, secular science.
 Roger Patterson, Evolution Exposed: Biology (Hebron, KY:Answers in Genesis, 2007), 45.
 Lisle, The New Answers Book 2, 107.
 Patterson, 50.
 For further study, visit www.creation.com or www.answersingenesis.org.
 Don Batten, ed., The Revised and Expanded Answers Book (Green Forest, AK: Master Books, 2003), 83-86.
 For a thorough study of the dating methods issue, visit http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-answers/topic/radiometric-dating.
 Andrew Snelling, “Doesn’t the Order of the Fossils in the Rock Record Favor Long Ages?” in The New Answers Book 2, Ken Ham, general editor (Green Forest, AK: 2008), 342.
 Patterson, Evolution Exposed: Earth Science, 150.
 Ibid, 152.
 Visit Answers in Genesis for a full discussion of Noah’s Ark: http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-answers/topic/noahs-ark
Recommended further reading: